Clipped From Arizona Republic

dskissel Member Photo

Clipped by dskissel

 - OBH WITH A WAPiM One of the most remarkable...
OBH WITH A WAPiM One of the most remarkable characters characters of early-day early-day early-day Arizona was a curly-headed, curly-headed, curly-headed, high-spirited high-spirited high-spirited man who, during during his first 20 years in the Territory, lived under a false name. According to his own life story he was born Albert Franklin Banta in Illinois in 1843. When the Civil War came he apparently got mixed up with Quantrell's raiders without intending intending to do so. He was arrested a couple of times as a suspected spy for Quantrell but was discharged the first time and escaped the second. Deciding to get clear of the whole mess yet fearing he might still be subject to arrest by Union interests, he joined up as a bullwhacker to New Mexico under the name of Charles A. Franklin. Having learned the printing trade in Missouri he helped set up a press in Albuquerque when the party arrived arrived there. It was the second press in New Mexico. He wanted to go on into Old Mexico but since his command of the Spanish Spanish language was limited to yes, no and a few cuss words he decided to go to Arizona. Captain Pishon had brought word of the Capt. Joseph Walker party's gold discoveries on the Lynx and other creeks so "Charley Franklin" joined Gen. James H. Carleton's expedition expedition to Arizona as a bullwhacker. The party reached Chino Valley (del Rio, the first Ft. Whipple) Dec. 21, 1863, a few days before the arrival arrival of Gov. John C. Goodwin, who had come to establish the territorial government, government, and party. Secretary Richard McCormick had brought along a printing outfit and "Charley Franklin" helped T. A. Hand, the editor, get out the first two issues of the Arizona Miner at old Ft. Whipple. When the town of Prescott and the new Ft. Whipple were occupied in the spring of 1861, Charley, of course, went along. His first work was "digging hay" with a hoe for a contractor who supplied supplied hay for the horses at the new Ff. Whipple. This was followed bv a job of guarding cattle and the hay workers against Indian attacks, at $75 a month. Charley saw the building of Pres-cctt, Pres-cctt, Pres-cctt, the arrival of the "Virgin," whose goat milk for coffee made her restaurant popular at once, and he soon knew all the early day characters. characters. Bacon was $1.50 a pound in gold, or $3 in paper, coffee and sugar the same, and flour 50 cents a pound in gold. Boots cost $25, gold, so Charley made moccasins for himself. He was in Prescott when the first territorial election took place in 1864 but being under age and not having the required residence he was unable to vote. (There were only 885 votes cast in the four original counties of Yavapai, Mohave, Pima and Yuma at the first election, more than half of them in Pima.) In the spring of 1865 Charley went with the paymaster's party to Albuquerque Albuquerque and in the fall started back for Prescott with Solomon Barth who had just acquired the mail contract between the two towns. Taken seriously ill at the Zuni villages, villages, he remained there until cured. For the next few years he worked in New Mexico and became on such good terms with the Zunis that they claimed him as a tribesman, giving him the name of "Too-loos-too-loo." "Too-loos-too-loo." "Too-loos-too-loo." "Too-loos-too-loo." "Too-loos-too-loo." "Too-loos-too-loo." "Too-loos-too-loo." Having also become friendly with the Apaches, he went with C. E. Coo-ley Coo-ley Coo-ley and Henry Dodd into the Apache country to look for a lost mine. (Coo-ley (Coo-ley (Coo-ley remained among the Apaches, married into the tribe and became one of the best known settlers in the Ft. Apache region.) The indefatigable Charley was next heard of in the Salt River Valley, before before Phoenix was settled, where he visited his old friend and a similar character Jack Swilling, who had taken out a ditch and had a ranch there. From Swilling's ranch, dressed in a suit of buckskins, he dashed into the town of Wickenburg, where he was dubbed "Buckskin Charley." In Wickenburg he became town marshal for a short time, but that was too slow for him, so he spent the winter of 1869-70 1869-70 1869-70 killing game for the Vulture mine. In the spring of 1870 he went to Prescott and became a scout for the Army. He headquartered at Ft. Whipple and was there for the election election of 1870. Restless as ever, he gave up that job in a few months and in January 1871 was back at the Swilling ranch for a few days, then on to Tucson, a greener spot "over the hill." For a short time he worked on the Tucson Citizen. Then, according to his own account, account, Gov. Anson P.K. Safford asked him to investigate the alleged diamond strike. Charley spent over a month investigating investigating the area and reported that, in his opinion, it was a fake. (As a matter of fact the scene of

Clipped from
  1. Arizona Republic,
  2. 27 Jul 1969, Sun,
  3. [First Edition],
  4. Page 161

dskissel Member Photo

Want to comment on this Clipping? Sign up for a free account, or sign in